The town of Narrandera is located on the Murrumbidgee River, known for its attractive tree-lined streets which contrast with the open plains that surround this town in southern New South Wales. It is an important destination for travellers as it lies on the junction of the Newell and Sturt Highways and is the gateway to the productive Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. At the 2011 census, Narrandera had a population of 3,871 people.
Narrandera is a river town with a rich heritage. Captain Charles Sturt, the famous explorer, passed through the district on 12 December 1829 the area was to become known as Narrandera. The Narrungderra were the local indigenous people and the name Narrandera is derived from Wiradjuri nharrang, meaning "frill-necked lizard".
Narrandera marks the transition between an extensive dry-land area devoted to cereal crops and sheep and wool production to the east, and, to the west, the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area (MIA) fed by water from the Burrinjuck Dam. The MIA is a region where irrigation has opened the way to a diversity of enterprise, from the growing of rice and other cereals under irrigation to the production of citrus, wine grapes and potatoes.
Known world wide for its Royal Doulton Fountain, given to the people of Narrandera by Alderman and Mrs Hankinson in 1922 in honour of locals who served in World War I. A fig tree on the corner of King and Cadell Streets, is thought to be 150 years old; along with numerous historic residences and commercial buildings.
Narrandera's immediate surrounds feature a number of waterways, the major waterway being the Murrumbidgee River. The Irrigation Canal, which carries water to the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area to Narrandera's west, flows through the town. It originates 34 kilometres upstream at Berembed Weir where water is diverted from the Murrumbidgee River. The canal follows the natural bed of Bundidgerry Creek and in places spreads wide and has no levee banks. Lake Talbot forms an important recreational feature of the town. The town end of the lake is commonly used by water skiers while the east end (Five Mile) forms a wetland habitat for native fauna plus another popular recreational area.